Sometimes I feel bad for my husband. Not all of the time. Just the days when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and notice the frustrated/stressed/exhausted expression on my face. Or the weeks that I’m so busy I convince myself that repeatedly spraying on dry shampoo is the same thing as washing my hair. Lucky for me my husband is the kind of husband that tells me I’m beautiful even on the days that I know I look more Crypt Keeper than Giselle. Sometimes I can’t help but wonder if a part of him misses the put together, perfectly primped 22 year old he first met. Actually, nix that, I’m not an idiot, of course part of him misses that version of myself. So although 95% of the time I am a yoga pant wearing, pony-tailed, frazzled work at home mother and wife, I try to commit the other 5% of the time to be the woman my husband first met. When the few and far between date nights come around I follow a few simple guidelines:
Shave your legs: Let’s face it ladies, for most of us there is a direct correlation between the number of years you’ve been with your man and the length of your leg hair. Yes, it would be lovely to have legs as smooth and tan as a Jergens commercial. Lovelier than an extra 10 minutes sleep in the morning after getting up 4 times the night before to check for monsters under the bed? I think not. If you’re anything like me, you can barely remember the last time you even shaved above your knee. And while my husband is smart enough to never mention it, I don’t think he finds it particularly sexy not being able to differentiate my leg from our dogs’ when it brushes up against him in bed. So, when date night comes around I am always sure to buy a new razor, slather on some shaving cream and try not to clog the drain.
Perk Up Your Boobs: Some time within the last few years of my my lacy matching Victoria’s Secret bra and panties got traded in for clearance rack bras and whatever underwear doesn’t have holes in them. As a mom it is important to remember than boobs are not just drinking fountains and bras are not always the enemy. So, pick out a low cut shirt, buy a sexy push up bra and strut your stuff like you did in the days before your boobs were used to feed people.
Don’t Talk about Poop: There were a lot of things I wasn’t prepared for when I became a mom. The one that still shocks me the most is the amount of time that the subject of poop comes up in everyday conversation. Although it might be difficult, try to remember how conversation used to be in the “Pre-Poop” days. The days when “Could you pass the potatoes?” didn’t flow seamlessly into “You wouldn’t believe what was dripping out of the diaper!”.
Ditch the Yoga Pants: Somewhere along the path from “single girl” to “married with a child” I picked up on the fact that there are in fact 3 categories to comfy loungewear. Category #1: Night time-sleep comfy pants, Category #2: Daytime-wear around the house comfy pants, Category #3: All times-appropriate to be seen in public comfy pants. Once I learned this little gem, I have stuck to it pretty closely. I’m not exactly proud to admit that there are weeks that go by where my husband won’t see me wearing “normal clothes”(aka the kind aren’t made of that blissful Lycra/Cotton mix). That’s why it’s so important on Date Night to ditch the comfort clothes and put something on that buttons or zips(even if you have to unbutton the top button after eating a little too much). Believe me, your husband will appreciate the effort.
Stay up past 8pm: Sometimes when I’m having a tough week and my brain starts to wander I begin to daydream about a perfect child free night with my husband: eating takeout on the couch while binge watching our favorite show and then, for the grand finale, hitting the sack early and getting a whole 8 hours of glorious, uninterrupted sleep. Then I have to remind myself that I am not a 90 year old woman and free time with my husband can be just as exciting as it used to be when we were first dating. So have a few cocktails/go out to a nice restaurant/go to a concert and enjoy time together as just the two of you. And you know what? If at 10:00pm you’re ready to trade in your party shoes for a sleep mask, then do it! Just give yourselves a few hours to be People, not just Parents.
Comment below and let me know your tips for dating your husband!
*If you like the post, please share it!*