In my opinion, every mama deserves a cocktail after a long day of diaper changing, snot wiping and Nick Jr. watching. I am a wine lover, but hot desert summers and red wine don’t really mix. Frankly, even the idea of drinking a glass of red wine when it’s 108 degrees outside gives me an instant headache. Luckily I came across this fantastic summer cocktail recipe. I actually served this drink sans alcohol at Ella’s first birthday party and it was a hit. I served it to my husband and myself with liquor immediately after the guests left and it was an even bigger hit!
- 8 cups chopped seedless watermelon (about 6 pounds)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus 2 tablespoons more, if needed
- 1/2 cup vodka, (optional)
- Mint leaves
- Working in batches, puree in blender watermelon with lime juice and sugar until smooth. Add more sugar, if needed.
- Transfer puree to a pitcher; add vodka, if desired. Cover; chill until ready to serve.
- Stir; pour into tumblers, over ice. Garnish with mint.
** I followed the recipe loosely. Some batches i put in more lime juice, which made it a thinner drink(hence the pour over ice step). In other batches I used less lime and it was a thicker puree that was better without ice. Either way the cocktail was 100% delish and in my opinion a healthy cocktail choice (it has fresh fruit in it)!;)